Monday, June 14, 2010

Jambo

I arrived in Entebbe, Uganda a few days ago at around 5am. A man called Robert picked me up from the aiport for the 5 hour drive to Mbale. From what I saw of the country it is asbolutely beautiful. I had no idea how green it was!!
I've been working at the orphanage now for a couple of days and it's....not easy. There are about 40 childen total although I spend most of my time with about 15 of them. The majority of them are between 1 and 3 years old and they are adorable, happy, sweet childen. They don't have much...no diapers, no shoes, barely any toys. Some of them have terrible coughs but when I asked Sister Mary about it she said that there isn't much they can do because as soon as one of them gets sick, they all get sick, and medicine is expensive.

There are 4 nuns that run the place; 2 work at the primary school on the grounds and the other 2 work at the orphanage. There are also about 4 other women that help out evey day. Some of them are so rough with the kids...it breaks my heart. I wish I could bring them all home with me.
I know I probably shouldn't but I have a favorite. He looks like he is about 16 months old and I am a little unsure of his name. It sounds something like Jin-May although it occured to me yesterday that it might actually be Jermaine. I don't like that name one bit so to me he is Jinmay. He is the cutest kid in the world!! As soon as he sees me he runs up to me and doesn't leave my side for as long as I am there. All he wants is to be held and cuddled and kissed and is perfectly content to just sit on my lap all day long. He has the best laugh I've ever heard and I swear to god, if I could, he would be coming home with me. I actually asked Sister Mary about the adoption process...but don't worry mom, you're not getting a grandchild....this time.

Yesterday Father Thomas told me that he would give me a plot of land to build a house on if I said I would stay forever. Everyone is so unbelievably kind and they seem so happy that I am here.
I had an interesting experience yesterday. Sister Mary asked if I would go to church with them on Sunday morning. So there I am, at the 7:30am mass in a church filled with at least 350 people. Suddenly, towards the end (of the TWO hour mass), Sister Mary goes up to the microphone and says "we have a visitor here today. She is from California...." (me: oh shit oh shit oh shit). Sister Mary: "she has come here to Mbale to volunteer in the babies home and I would like to invite her to come up and tell you all about herself." Yeah. So there I was, standing in front of a church full of people telling them about myself. What an experience. After mass I literally had 40 or 50 people come up to me just to shake my hand and introduce themselves and welcome me to their country. So incredible.


After bath time

The "playground"

My favorite little boy...

Two of the youngest babies, Peter and Moses

My room. Under the green garbage lid are two spiders. My roomates.

No comments:

Post a Comment